using brilliant, stable filtered LEDs
using a single grating monochromator
Highest Sensitivity Detection
with photon counting
Digital Acquisition of True IL and IR
correct calculation and presentation of GLUM
Collects Polarization of Fluorescence
and optionally phosphorescence lifetime
Costs 50% Less than models with CD Specific Hardware
No xenon arc lamp, power supply, large monochromators, or lock-in amplifier
50-80% Smaller than Alternative Commercial Models
Before computer, measures only 55 cm x 55cm
Exactly what a CPL spectrometer needs to be.
The CPL Solo is the only commercial spectrometer designed on first principle for circularly polarized luminescence.
It’s perfect on every front.
The full intensity of a wavelength specific LED is millimeters from the sample, providing greater intensity than anything other than a laser. A filter is added to narrow the bandpass of certain wavelengths. OLIS electronics hold the intensity stable.
LED as excitation source
• Wavelength specific LED with high intensity and stability, 400-1100 nm standard.
> Ultraviolet wavelengths (240-390 nm) slightly higher price.
• Most are filtered to reduce the bandwidth of the produced color to ± 5 nm.
• The filter and LED are housed in a metal tube casing, which is designed for easy interchange. Changing from one tube (wavelength A) to another (wavelength B) requires no tools, no alignment, and takes a few moments.
• The LED operates using OLIS electronics and computer control.
Sample Holder Choices
• Ambient 1 cm² cuvette holder, included in system price.
• Peltier 1 cm² cuvette holder.
• Fixed angle thin film holder.
• Variable angle thin film holder, manual or computerized.
• Other, client specified.
Photoelastic Modulator (PEM)
• Modules the left and right circularly polarized emission 50,000 times per second.
• Timing of data acquisition by OLIS software is synchronized to the “F-signal” from the PEM, so that every datum’s exact state of polarization is known, eliminating the need for analog lock-in amplifier and pre-measurement settings.
Polarizer within 2” Holder
• Mounting ledges before the sample to polarize the measurement light and after the sample to polarize the emitted light.
• Lift and move without tools.
• Aligns with holding notch for perfect positioning.
Scanning Emission & Highest Sensitivity Detection
• Single grating for highest light throughput.
• Filter position for stray light reduction.
• 40 x 45 mm grating with 1200 lines blazed at 450 nm for 240-870 nm.
• 40 x 45 mm grating with 1200 lines blazed at 750 nm for NIR studies.
• Motorized scanning with < 0.1 nm accuracy and scan rate > 40 nm/sec.
Default Vis/NIR or higher price UV/Vis single grating monochromator is mounted for fast and fail-safe interchange. The detector travels with the monochromator.
• NIR photon counting detector.
OLIS SpectralWorks software
• All instrument settings for the CPL Solo hardware and accessories are supported.
• Intensity information (raw data) are read from the photon counter to an FPGA chip, where data are sorted by wavelength and polarization state Iʟ or Iʀ.
• Full digital data handling results in linearity over at least seven orders of magnitude, zero drift, and flat baseline
• Acquires and displays Iʟ and Iʀ signals and graphically plots Gʟᴜᴍ = 2 (Iʟ - Iʀ / Iʟ + Iʀ)
Employing an entirely digital scheme which dates to 1974, a version we patented in 2005. Data acquisition from the CPL Solo is direct and absolute.
Digital Acquisition of True IL & IR
• Digital filtering for removing noise is available during pre-presentation processing and after. Filtering is reversible for user verification that no structural information was lost or distorted by random noise removal.
• Raw, processed, and smoothed data can be downloaded directly into Excel or as comma delimited ASCii file, as well as stored in default binary format.
• Algorithms for 2D and 3D data analysis are available for steady-state, thermal or chemical denaturation, and kinetic studies. These 60+ algorithms cover the gamut from single species to six species models.
> 3D fitting uses Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) which determines the number of species in any multi-wavelength case of 10 or more scans
> SVD is followed by Downhill Simplex and Matrix Exponentiation, which are methods for reconstructing the spectra and calculating the kinetics; see Methods in Enzymology, Volume 384, chapters 1, 2 & 3.
“CPL, Polarization of Fluorescence, and Phosphorescence Lifetime Fluorimeter” was a bit long of a name! But, the CPL Solo offers polarization of fluorescence (and thus anisotropy) as well as un-polarized fluorescence. With an optional enhancement, the CPL Solo becomes a Phosphorescence Lifetime spectrometer, too.
Options for fast and failsafe positioning of the polarizer:
Fluorescence & phosphorescence lifetime
Handling the data from the CPL Solo using OLIS GlobalWorks
Start with raw data from 48 scans:
Apply “Singular Value Decomposition” (SVD) to these raw scans using single species non-changing kinetic algorithm:
Further reduce noise using 13 point “Digital filter”:
Adjust presentation scale using “Autoscale:"
Isolate a region using “Zoom":
CPL Solo Specifications
From the owner of the first CPL Solo, Dr. Gaël Ung of University of Connecticut, December 2019:
“So far, the instrument has been running about 120 hours a week probably. Our measurements are between 30 min surveys, to 24 hours full publishable collection. We have gotten down to glum of 1.1 x 10-3 at the moment, we have targets with presumably lower glum to test soon. We are still experimenting a lot here … running constant control experiments. I would eventually like to test the limits with how weakly luminescent something can be to still be able to detect CPL accurately.”
Comparing the OLIS CPL Solo to the Jasco CPL-300:
There is no signal the Jasco can acquire that the OLIS CPL Solo cannot. There is no exception.
The OLIS CPL Solo is 50-75% less expensive than the Jasco.
The OLIS CPL Solo is 80% smaller than the Jasco.
The OLIS CPL Solo does not rely on a lock-in amplifier...the Jasco does.
The OLIS CPL Solo acquires the signal directly and perfectly as flu (L) and flu (R) ... the Jasco cannot.
The OLIS CPL Solo can acquire polarization of fluorescence and the Jasco cannot.
The OLIS CPL Solo can be enhanced to support phosphorescence lifetime and the Jasco cannot.
The OLIS CPL Solo acquires and displays the CPL units G(lum) and the Jasco acquires and displays the CD units, millidegrees.
The OLIS CPL Solo electronics are freely available for immediate access should any repairs be required; the Jasco is much more complex: electronics are buried within the instrument and require a service technician for on-site repair.
The OLIS CPL Solo is hand-crafted of highest quality, recyclable metals and no plastic; the Jasco is mass-produced with much plastic and nothing recyclable.
And, if one chooses the OLIS DSM 172, ours acquires CD and the Jasco cannot.
Yanyan Zhou, Hongfeng Li, Tianyu Zhu, Ting Gao, and Pengfei Yan
Journal of the American Chemical Society Article ASAP
Recently published work using OLIS CPL Solo (Dec 2019)